Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Book Signing and Lectures


This summer, I get to be involved in a couple of great opportunities. For the short version, check my Twitter updates @AlmostBruce. For the long, boring story, click here.

Earlier this year, I sold a story to an anthology published by The Brothers Uber. The book is called Once Upon a Future Time and it contains seven stories. They are all science fiction stories based on fairy tales. Mine is called “Jack and the Quantum Fracture.” It’s basically Jack and the Beanstalk, except with extraterrestrials instead of a giant.

Logan Uber (my contact with the publication) set up a Kickstarter campaign for the book, aiming for $500. It did really well, reaching over $2,000. To motivate the backers, different “rewards” were set up along the way. One of these was an extra story by me called “Cold and Hungry” (a sci-fi story loosely based on “The Three Billy Goats Gruff”).

Logan contacted me and it turns out he comes to the Denver Comic Con every year and sets up a booth. He asked if I would be willing to come and sign books. I know there won’t be a line or anything, but I’m just excited to meet the publisher and possibly chat with some of my friends and family who might drop by. I'll be there both Friday June 15 and Saturday June 16. 

About two weeks ago, my good friend Jason Looney put me in touch with a friend of his named Tim Slater. Tim is a professor at the University of Wyoming. He is also in charge of scheduling some of the speakers for Westercon—another convention that takes place in different cities every year. This year it happens to be in Denver.

Jason told Tim about my recent publication. Tim and I talked over the phone and he scheduled me for three events.

“How Science is Killing Fiction”       Friday, July 6 at 10:00 a.m.

I bounced this off Tim and he liked the idea. This is about how technology can compromise our creativity and how in particular it might sabotage the future of science fiction.

Science and Religion Panel                Friday, July 6 at 2:00 p.m.

I will be on a panel with at least two other people discussing how to reconcile religion and science. I think it will be a kind of a Q & A arrangement.

“Future Tense”                                   Friday, July 6 at 4:00 p.m.

Tim asked me to present a lecture on how to turn fairy tales into science fiction. I’ll basically talk about how I developed my stories and writing in general.  

At both Comic Con and Westercon I’ll be allowed to sell my own book Paper Bullets.  

I'm really excited about this! I’ll be posting all of it as it all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment