Thursday, February 7, 2019

Senior Play 2018: Zigzag



In April of 2018, Sierra Martinez, Evan Vance, and I drove downtown to the Tattered Cover and brainstormed for their senior play.

As always, the assignment was this:

Find book titles that catch your eye.

Find a phrase from various books that are interesting to you.

Eavesdrop on conversations for interesting phrases.

Once we had spent some time there collecting all these various things, we went back to the school and wrote it all on a whiteboard to see what kinds of ideas surfaced.

The list included the following:

A Ghostly Light

Midnight Garden

Metaphysics

Pax

Dragon Teeth

“had his eyes closed to both”

“Bonk, I didn’t want to say that.”

House of Spies

Memory Rescue

Cattawumpus

Garbagio

The title A Ghostly Light made us think of a lighthouse. House of Spies stuck out too. By the end of the day we had the rough idea of a witness protection situation set in a lighthouse. The twist would be that the agents would turn out to be the bad guys.

I started working on the rough draft in September. The working title was Garbagio, just because I liked the word. But it ended up not fitting the plot. The word “cattawumpus” also caught my eye, but it didn’t fit either. So I plugged “cattawumpus” into the thesaurus and it kicked out “zigzag.”

The cast included two seniors and three eighth-graders. Sierra Martinez (senior), Evan Vance (senior), Makenna Mora (8th), Katarina Taylor (8th), and Brody White (8th).

“Bonk, I didn’t want to say that” led to the idea of a character having her own version of empty-handed combat like Kung-Fu or Karate. This led to Carmela and her Whack-Pow skills. My wife Sarah knows all about manicures and nail polish so I added what little I learned from her to Carmine’s character.  

All the characters came from names of people who were actually in the Witness Protection Program.

Frank’s character included my own child-hood daydream of becoming an astronaut. I pursued the idea of him being a reluctant criminal.

Henry the witness became an easy-going person who was fearless until things went bad.

Marion was the opposite—someone who was insecure until things went bad.

I saw Teresa as a kind of mafia-hairstylist.

The lighthouse setting sounded interesting but it wasn’t essential to the story and it would have been a real headache to build the set.

I changed the setting to an abandoned warehouse, but I kept the sea-side setting. This led to the possibility of a tugboat passing by. This element ended up being extremely key to the plot.  

The ending was kind of fuzzy for a while. I mostly knew I wanted the image of the bad guy’s feet in the window as he hung upside-down. The final moments of the play would have failed if not for the excellent actors. They made it work.

They made the whole play work. They did such a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment